Start or grow your own business, with the help of a government-backed Start Up Loan
Personal Loan for Business Purposes
A Think Business Start Up Loan is a government-backed personal loan available to individuals looking to start or grow a business.
In addition to up to £25,000 finance, all successful applicants will receive 12-month mentoring for free and exclusive business offers to help them succeed and achieve their goals.
All owners or partners in a business can individually apply for up to £25,000 each, with a maximum of £100,000 available per business.
Once you’ve been successfully qualified by our agents, you’ll be assigned a Business Adviser who can help you create a Business Plan, Cash Flow Forecast and Personal Survival Budget to submit with your application.
If approved, you will be paired with a mentor for 12-months of free mentoring.
The loan is unsecured, so there’s no need to put forward any assets or guarantors to support an application.
Over 50,000 business ideas supported with more than £350 million worth of loans
We offer low-interest personal loans to help fund your business ideas… and free business support to give you the confidence to succeed
To be eligible to apply for a Start Up Loan, you must fit the following criteria:
- You’re 18 years of age or older
- You’re a current UK resident
- You’re starting a new business or have been trading for up to 24 months
- You’re unable to secure finance from other sources (self-declaration is ok)
- Your business is based in the UK
- You have the right to work in the UK
- Your business type and loan purpose is eligible under terms of the scheme
- You pass our credit checks and you can afford to repay the loan
Do you fit the criteria?
Excluded business types
Most business types are eligible for a Start Up Loan, however we are not able to support the following business types*:
- Chemical manufacture
- Illegal activities
- Banking and money transfer services
- Private investigators that do not hold the appropriate licence
- Gambling and betting activities
- Property investment
- Agents for third parties, where a third party earns the majority of the revenue or you would only be earning a commission (not to be confused with franchise businesses which are eligible to apply).
Excluded loan purposes
Start Up Loans are designed to finance the initial costs of starting and developing a business, and therefore cannot be used to fund the following activities*:
- Debt repayment
- Training, qualifications or education programmes
- Investment opportunities that do not form part of an on-going sustainable business
Credit Check and Loan Assessment
During the application process, Start Up Loans will undertake a personal credit check with a Credit Reference Agency (CRA). They will also run a series of other checks with Fraud Prevention Agencies (FPAs) to validate both your personal information and bank account details. If you would like more information on how we use your information, please review our terms and conditions.
The overall loan assessment will also take into account the strength and viability of the business, shown through the Business Plan and Cash Flow Forecast you submit with your application.
Where there is a business need, multiple business partners can individually apply for a Start Up Loan of up to £25,000. However, please note we can only lend a maximum of £100,000 to any one business. Each partner’s application will be assessed separately, and if successful, each individual will be personally liable for their loan.